Vision, Mission and Objectives
To build a society where human dignity is respected, human rights promoted, faith and justice upheld, economic and natural resources shared equitably, international relations founded on principles that promote and respect human life, individuals and institution in power are held accountable, and academic excellence is pursued with the aim of achieving full human potential for good.
The Institute aims to realize its vision through integral human formation based on academic excellence, training in the theory and practice of peacebuilding and international relations, policy research, conflict monitoring, foreign policy analysis, advocacy, research and publication as well as inculcation of spiritual values.
The general objective of the Hekima Institute of Peace Studies and International Relations (HIPSIR) is to train men and women to provide instruction and expertise in peace building and conflict resolution at a high-quality tertiary education level. To achieve its objective the Institute seeks to:
- Engage the professors and students as a community committed to teaching, learning and researching on conflict issues in Africa so as to provide solutions for peace and political stability;
- Monitor issues of conflict in Africa and search for their root causes including the new world economic and political order that tend to marginalize the continent while exploring its resources;
- Study the Catholic social teaching as well as the teachings and wisdom of other religious traditions especially, the African cultural and religious vision on peace and reconciliation;
- Develop a database and documentation centre on peace and conflict studies, and conflict resolution;
- Co-operate with academic institutions, governmental and non-governmental organizations as well as religious institutions involved in the search for peace in Africa and around the world; and
- Foster space for understanding through dialogue, peace and justice
The Hekima Institute of Peace Studies and International Relations fulfils this mission with a vivid concern for all matters related to integral human, social, cultural, and spiritual development within the Church and civil society. In line with the Jesuit tradition of education, it expects and demands academic excellence from its teachers and students in view of the leadership they are called to exercise for the well-being of each human being and for the building of a just human society. In wisdom we search for Truth, and with integrity and freedom we live by its Spirit.
Who we are
Physical Address: Riara Road, off Ngong Road
Tel: +254 20 386 0109 | +254 20 3860102
Mobile: +254 72 9755905